Title - Chansons d’Ennui Tip-Top [Vinyl LP]
Artist - Jarvis Cocker (& Friends)
For those unaware, ABKCO Records will, of course, also release the original soundtrack to The French Dispatch, the new Wes Anderson film with an ensemble cast that includes Benicio Del Toro, Adrien Brody, Tilda Swinton, Léa Seydoux, Frances McDormand, Timothée Chalamet, Lyna Khoudri, Jeffrey Wright, Mathieu Amalric, Stephen Park, Bill Murray, Owen Wilson, Christoph Waltz, Edward Norton, Jason Schwartzman, and Anjelica Huston.
With an original score by Academy Award™ winning composer Alexandre Desplat, the film’s original soundtrack will be released on CD and all digital platforms in conjunction with the Searchlight Pictures theatrical release of the film on October 22, 2021. The 2xLP vinyl edition will follow in early 2022.
However, along with Desplat’s gorgeous score, the album also features Jarvis Cocker’s impassioned cover of the French pop hit Aline, originally written and recorded by French pop icon Christophe.
Thus expanding on the universe of The French Dispatch, Wes Anderson and Jarvis Cocker decided to collaborate on an entire album of French material from the same period entitled Chansons d’Ennui Tip-Top – containing songs associated with artists like Françoise Hardy, Serge Gainsbourg, Brigitte Bardot and Jacques Dutronc.
This unique companion album has musical backing provided by JAR VIS... plus Lætitia Sadier (Stereolab) featured on the duet Paroles, Paroles (the pre-order of Limited Super Deluxe Set from ABKCO contains the vinyl album, a double-sided poster and a limited edition 45 of Aline b/w Paroles, Paroles).
1. Dans Ma Chambre (written by Pedro Espinoza Prieto, originally performed by Dalida)
2. Contact (written by Serge Gainsbourg, originally performed by Brigitte Bardot)
3. La Tendresse (written by Hubert Yves Adrien Giraud, Noel Roux, originally performed by Marie LaFôret)
4. Amour, Je Te Cherche (written by Nino Ferrer, originally performed by Nino Ferrer & Radiah)
5. Les Gens Sont Fous, Les Temps Sont Flous (written by Jacques Lanzmann, Jacques Dutronc, originally performed by Jacques Dutronc)
6. Il Pleut Sur La Gare (written by Areski Belkacem, Brigitte Fontaine, originally performed by Brigitte Fontaine & Areski Belkacem)
The first track out the gate of this highly-anticipated new vinyl LP (whose title translates to Boredom Songs by Tip-Top; which is Jarvis Cocker’s character piece, so to speak) is the swarthy, royal elegance of Dans Ma Chambre (featuring Bach’s Toccata and Fugue in D minor organ) and the gently perky, freshly crisp, theatrical and space-themed Contact (which also features Bishi Bhattacharya on sitar) and they are followed by the emotively heartfelt La Tendresse, the seductively orchestrated Amour, Je Te Cherche, the first side rounding out on the early ‘70s-imbed, jangled rock of Les Gens Sont Fous, Les Temps Sont Flous and the rhythmically melodious Il Pleut Sur La Gare.
1. Paroles, Paroles (written by Matteo Chiosso, Giancarlo Del Re, Giovanni Ferrio, originally performed by Dalida & Alain Delon)
2. Requiem Pour Un Con (written by Serge Gainsbourg, Michel Jean Piette Colombier, originally performed by Serge Gainsbourg in the film Le Pacha)
3. Mon Ami La Rose (written by Cécille Caulier, Jacques Lacome D’Estalenx, originally performed by Françoise Hardy)
4. Mao Mao (written by Gérard Guégan, Gérard Hugé, originally performed by Claude Channes in the film La Chinoise )
5. Elle Et Moi (written by Pascal Jean Michel Valadon, Aaron Gilbert, Alex Payne, Jean Pierre Cerrone, originally performed by Max Berlin)
6. Aline (written by Daniel Georges Jacq Bevilacqua, originally performed by Christophe)
The flip side on this luscious vinyl LP opens on the luxurious warmth of the duet with Lætitia Sadier (founding member of the London-based avant-pop band Stereolab) on Paroles, Paroles and then the gently rambunctious Requiem Pour Un Con, which are in turn backed by the romantic luring found within Mon Ami La Rose, the finger-snapping, toe-tapping, psychedelic rhythms of Mao Mao (which also features Anna McKinney on vocals), the album closing on the sophisticated, funky hipsway of Elle Et Moi and the tantalizingly majestical, lavishly bombastic Aline.
The French Dispatch revolves around a fictitious expatriate magazine that tells three stories published in this legendary journal. It celebrates writers and the thrill of great storytelling. Music plays a key and distinct role in each of the “chapters” of the film. Renown pianist Jean-Yves Thibaudet is featured in the film’s score and contributes a series of stunning solos on the recordings.
ABKCO will offer a Super Deluxe Set containing the Double-LP of The French Dispatch (Original Soundtrack), a Limited Edition set of The French Dispatch Art Cards, a double-sided poster and for the first fans to order, a printed copy of The French Dispatch Magazine.
Official ABKCO Purchase Link
Official Listen and Pre-Order Aline Pre-Order Purchase Links
Official Pre-Order Purchase Links for French Dispatch
Official Listen and Pre-Order Animated Car Chase Pre-Order Purchase Links