Title - Live At The Gong Family Unconventional Gathering
Artist - Gong
The Gong Family Unconvention at the Melkweg club in Amsterdam in November 2006 was a unique 3-day event in which all the surviving original members of this legendary psychedelic band came together and, after performing their own individual sets, performed once again as Gong.
This climactic and joyful 2hr 16min Gong live set entitled Live At The Gong Family Unconventional Gathering was beautifully captured for this DVD video and for the first time CD audio recording (and is now available as a glorious tri-fold digipak with 16 page booklet!)
This was the last time that Gong played with the full “classic” line-up (minus just Pierre Moerlen on drums, who died the year before).
1. You Can’t Kill Me (from the album ‘Camembert Electrique’)
2. Radio Gnome Invisible (from the album ‘Flying Teapot’)
3. Tomorrow Afternoon (I Am Your Fantasy) (from ‘Camembert Electrique’)
4. Dynamite / I Am Your Animal (from ‘Camembert Electrique’)
5. Flute Salad (from the album ‘Angel’s Egg’)
6. Oily Way (from ‘Angel’s Egg’)
7. Outer Temple (from ‘Angel’s Egg’)
8. Inner Temple (from ‘Angel’s Egg’)
9. Zero The Hero and the Witch’s Spell (from ‘Flying Teapot’)
10. I Am Your Pussy (from ‘Flying Teapot’)
11. Tropical Fish (from ‘Camembert Electrique’)
12. Selene (from ‘Camembert Electrique’)
This quite stunningly opulent double album and video – with a setlist that is basically Gong’s greatest hits, drawing from Camembert Electrique and the Planet Gong trilogy from the 1970s, with the added bonus of Magdelene from 2000’s Zero to Infinity - opens on the free-flowing You Can’t Kill Me and the psych rock ambiance of Radio Gnome Invisible and backs those up seamlessly with the translucent, Bjork-esque Tomorrow Afternoon (I Am Your Fantasy), a rather deranged Dynamite / I Am Your Animal, the electronically synced wonderment of Flute Salad and then the all-out funk of the brilliant Oily Way.
Up next is the wishy washy vibe of the pairing of jazz lite outings, Outer Temple and Inner Temple which are in turn followed by one of my own personal favorites, the epically excellent Zero The Hero and the Witch’s Spell, with the first disc rounding out on the ‘70s rock of I Am Your Pussy and the perfect slide from the gently frenetic percussion of Tropical Fish into the quite breathtaking Selene (both from ‘Camembert Electrique’).
1. I Never Glid Before (from ‘Angel’s Egg’)
2. Prostitute Poem (from ‘Angel’s Egg’)
3. Magdalene (from the album ‘Zero To Infinity’)
4. A Sprinkling of Clouds (from the album ‘You’)
5. She Is the Great Goddess (Magick Mother Invocation) (from ‘You’)
6. Master Builder (from ‘You’)
7. The Isle of Everywhere (from ‘You’)
8. You Never Blow Yr Trip Forever (from ‘You’)
The second disc opens on the tremendously enriched I Never Glid Before and the trippy Prostitute Poem and follows those up in turn with the funk rock of Magdalene, the rock opera A Sprinkling of Clouds, the veritable spoken word majesty of the space rock-imbibed She Is the Great Goddess (Magick Mother Invocation), before coming to a righteous close on the frenetically-challenged jammer Master Builder, the meanderingly magnificent, ten minute long percussion-led opus The Isle of Everywhere, and finally a rather masterfully trippy version of their nearly 18 minute space rocker You Never Blow Yr Trip Forever (from ‘You’).
Released by G-Wave Records through UK distributors SRD. Digital release via Ingrooves (North and South America) and Orchard (UK & rest of world).
The line-up for this unique and special performance:
Daevid Allen - Guitar, Voice
Gilli Smyth - Voice, Space Whisper
Steve Hillage – Guitar
Didier Malherbe - Flute, Soprano Sax, Duduk
Theo Travis - Tenor Sax
Tim Blake - Synthesizer, Voice
Miquette Giraudy – Synthesizer
Mike Howlett – Bass
Chris Taylor – Drums
Gong - Radio Gnome Invisible - from the 2006 Amsterdam Unconvention
Gong @ Facebook!