Title - Together Again
Artist - Buck Owens & Susan Raye
When Buck Owens took over co-hosting duties on the long-running country/comedy television series Hee Haw in 1969, he brought along singer Susan Raye, who he had also featured on his earlier TV program The Buck Owens Ranch Show.
As Buck’s popularity reached a new audience, the hits kept coming, including hits for artists associated with Buck such as Raye, who emerged as a viable county artist in her own right. With three Top 40 country hits of her own in 1971, highlighted by L.A. International Airport, she certainly had her fans, but in addition to her solo work, she also recorded multiple albums with Buck in the first half of the decade.
Together Again, due out on Omnivore Recordings on December 10th, 2021 on CD and Digital, collects 22 tracks released from 1970 to ’75, a time when both artists released a dozen solo albums each plus five duet albums together.
To say they were prolific is an understatement. This combination of deep cuts from Susan’s solo career coupled with Buck and Susan hits like The Great White Horse, Togetherness, and Love Is Strange, makes for a unique and satisfying overview of an important if overlooked repertoire of Bakersfield country.
1. Foolin’ Around - Susan Raye
2. High As the Mountains - Buck Owens & Susan Raye
3. Nobody’s Fool But Yours - Susan Raye
4. Love’s Gonna Live Here - Susan Raye
5. Sweethearts in Heaven - Buck Owens & Susan Raye
6. My Heart Skips a Beat - Susan Raye
7. Together Again - Buck Owens & Susan Raye
8. I Don’t Care (Just as Long as You Love Me) - Buck Owens & Susan Raye
9. Think of Me - Buck Owens & Susan Raye
10. Your Tender Loving Care - Buck Owens & Susan Raye
11. How Long Will My Baby Be Gone - Susan Raye
12. I’ve Got You on My Mind Again - Susan Raye
13. We’re Gonna Get Together - Buck Owens & Susan Raye
14. Togetherness - Buck Owens & Susan Raye
15. The Great White Horse - Buck Owens & Susan Raye
16. The Kansas City Song - Susan Raye
17. I’ll Be Waiting For You – Buck Owens & Susan Raye
18. Looking Back To See – Susan Raye
19. The Good Old Days (Are Here Again) – Buck Owens & Susan Raye
20. Arms Full of Plenty – Buck Owens & Susan Raye
21. Great Expectations – Susan Raye
22. Love Is Strange – Buck Owens & Susan Raye
This simply heavenly album opens on the upbeat Foolin’ Around (Susan Raye) and the joyously optimistic High As the Mountains (Buck Owens & Susan Raye) and those are seamlessly backed by the fiddle-tastic Nobody’s Fool But Yours (Susan Raye), the twanging ode Love’s Gonna Live Here (Susan Raye), the foot-tapping genius of Sweethearts in Heaven (Buck Owens & Susan Raye), the perky My Heart Skips a Beat (Susan Raye), and then we get both the lonesome ballad Together Again (Buck Owens & Susan Raye) and the gently rambunctious I Don’t Care (Just as Long as You Love Me) by both Buck Owens & Susan Raye.
Next up is the Mexican-imbibed Think of Me (Buck Owens & Susan Raye) and the foot-tapping melodies of Your Tender Loving Care (Buck Owens & Susan Raye) and those are in turn followed by the gently frenetic How Long Will My Baby Be Gone (Susan Raye), the laid back, mid-tempo piano balladry of I’ve Got You on My Mind Again (Susan Raye), the banjo-imbibed We’re Gonna Get Together (Buck Owens & Susan Raye), and then we get the romantic twirl within Togetherness (Buck Owens & Susan Raye), the lush tones of The Great White Horse (Buck Owens & Susan Raye), and the atmospherically upbeat The Kansas City Song (Susan Raye).
Along next is the stunning vocal balladry of I’ll Still Be Waiting For You (Susan Raye) and the frenetically cultured, joyous love ode Looking Back To See (Buck Owens & Susan Raye), with this exquisite album rounding out with the mid-tempo yarn The Good Old Days (Are Here Again) by both Buck Owens & Susan Raye, the fun and upbeat twang of Arms Full of Empty (Buck Owens & Susan Raye), the beautiful piano balladry of Owen’s own Great Expectations (Susan Raye), closing out on the finger-snapping vibes of Mickey & Sylvia’s hit song from 1957 Love Is Strange (Buck Owens & Susan Raye).
Together Again was compiled and produced for release by Grammy®-Award winner Cheryl Pawelski and mastered by Grammy®-winning engineer Michael Graves. The packaging features photos, ephemera, and new liner notes from Grammy®-nominated writer Randy Poe (Buck Em! The Autobiography of Buck Owens.)
Together Again is more than a document of the last five years of Buck’s classic reign at Capitol Records, it’s also the story of the beginnings of another country music superstar — Susan Raye.
This album release will kick off Omnivore Recordings’ digital release program of Susan Raye’s albums, including those recorded with Buck Owens, throughout 2022.
Omnivore Buck Owens and Susan Raye Album Trailer
Official Purchase Link