Title - 'Hopes & Dreams: The Lullaby Project'
Artist - Various
The Lullaby Project, a program of Carnegie Halls Weill Music Institute, pairs expectant and new mothers in hospitals, homeless shelters, schools, and correctional facilities; with professional artists to write personal lullabies for their babies.
Born of this program is Hopes & Dreams: The Lullaby Project, which features a selection of these original lullabies as recorded by a range of artists.
Produced by Glen Roven, Ira Yuspeh, and Mitch Yuspeh, this past April 20th, 2018, Decca Gold (Universal Music Group) released an album of these original lullabies written by Lullaby Project participants and performed by leading artists, including Fiona Apple, the Brentano String Quartet, Lawrence Brownlee, Rosanne Cash, Joyce DiDonato, Janice Freeman, Rhiannon Giddens, Angélique Kidjo, Patti LuPone, Natalie Merchant, Dianne Reeves, Gilberto Santa Rosa, Pretty Yende, and Catherine Zeta-Jones.
1. "Wildest Dreams" - by Dariys Medina with Sarah Elizabeth Charles (Performed by Janice Freeman)
2. "Hey Baby Boy" - by Anonymous Lullaby Project Participant with Thomas Cabaniss (Performed by Natalie Merchant)
3. "My Baby Likes Bacon" - by Tammy Harvey with John Chin and Emily Eagen (Performed by Rhiannon Giddens)
4. "Noah" - by Anonymous Lullaby Project Participant with Glen Roven (Performed by Catherine Zeta-Jones)
5. "Winter in My Heart" - by Anonymous Lullaby Project Participant with Emily Eagen (Performed by Rosanne Cash)
6. "Peace" - by Tamilles Fernandes with Deidre Struck (Performed by Joyce DiDonato)
7. "Mi Niña Bella" - by Andrea Nina with Claudette Sierra (Performed by Gilberto Santa Rosa with Camelia Muñiz)
8. "Sweet Dreams (Close Your Eyes)" - by Jessica Marmolejos with Thomas Cabaniss (Performed by Patti LuPone)
9. "Mansell's Waltz" - by Virginia Rodriguez with Emily Eagen (Performed by Rhiannon Giddens)
10. "Mother's Day" - by Kesha Hyman with James Shipp (Performed by Pretty Yende)
11. "Esso, Esso" - by Odette N'Dah with Emily Eagen (Performed by Angélique Kidjo)
12. "I Can't Wait to Meet You" - by Solangie Jimenez with Thomas Cabaniss (Performed by Fiona Apple)
13. "The Moment You Were Born" - by Amado Zubidi with Frederic Las Fargeas (Performed by Dianne Reeves)
14. "Hopes and Dreams" - by Elsa Negron with Matt Aronoff and James Shipp (Performed by Joyce DiDonato and the Brentano String Quartet)
15. "Dream Big" - by Shaylor Johnson with Thomas Cabaniss (Performed by Lawrence Brownlee with Rhiannon Giddens, Patti LuPone, Angélique Kidjo, Joyce DiDonato, Gilberto Santa Rosa, Young People's Chorus of New York City, and the Dream Big Choir)
The fifteen lullabies includes tracks in Spanish and French as well as English, reflecting the multi-cultural identities of the mothers themselves.
The track "Esso, Esso," sung in French and Ditammari (a language from northwest Benin), features Grammy Award-winning Beninese singer-songwriter Angélique Kidjo, and salsa and bolero vocalist Gilberto Santa Rosaperforms in Spanish on "Mi Niña Bella."
Indeed, all of the performers on the recording represent a wide variety of musical genres, including pop, folk, classical, country, salsa, and jazz.
Grammy Award-winning mezzo-soprano Joyce DiDonato lends her renowned vocal talents to the project's title track, "Hopes and Dreams," recorded with the Brentano String Quartet.
Joyce has been involved with the Lullaby Project for over five years and met Elsa Negron, the mother who wrote "Hopes and Dreams," when she performed the song at a special concert hosted by Carnegie Hall.
Lullabies are intimate and tender expressions of our hopes and dreams for our families, for ourselves and for our world. Hence, Hopes & Dreams: The Lullaby Project is one of those albums of music that you dare not listen to alone. Buy it. Share It. Absorb it. Become one with it and its cause.