Title - 'Edvard Grieg: Lyric Music'
Artist - Claire Booth & Christopher Glynn
Well, for those not in the know, following their acclaimed collaboration in Percy Graingers Folk Music, soprano Claire Booth and pianist Christopher Glynn turn to the Lyric Music of Edvard Grieg; an apt sequel as the elder composer befriended Grainger - who idolized the Norwegians folkloric idiom - immediately on their first encounter in London in 1906.
Interspersing intimate vocal miniatures with lyrical solo piano pieces, Claire and Christopher mirror many of the programs that Grieg and his wife Nina performed on their many recital tours together (much like Potton Hall, Suffolk, where the excellent acoustics of this recording were produced).
So, sure, Edvard Grieg's songs and short piano pieces have been played from time to time, but this newly cultured AVIE release may be the first in which they have been given what might be called an historically informed performance, so to speak.
Edvard Grieg (1843–1907)
1. Den hvide, røde Rose EG137 (The White and Red Roses) (1.45)
2. Norwegisch from Lyric Pieces, Book I Op.12 (1.02)
3. Volkweise from Lyric Pieces, Book I Op.12 (1.28)
4. Mens jeg venter (On the Water) from Digte Op.60 (2.05)
5. Sylphe from Lyric Pieces, Book VII Op.62 1.34 (1.34)
6. Med en Vandlilje (With a Waterlily) Ibsensangene Op.25 (1.54)
7. Sommerfugl (Butterfly) from Lyric Pieces, Book III Op.43 (1.41)
8. Melodi from Lyric Pieces, Book IV Op.47 (3.11)
9. Prinsessen EG133 (The Princess) (2.31)
10. Dulgt Kjærlighed (Hidden Love) from Romancer Op.39 (2.06)
11. Hjemad from Lyric Pieces, Book VII Op.62 (3.10)
12. I. Det Syng · The Enticement (3.20)
13. II. Veslemøy · The Young Girl (2.13)
14. III. Blåbaer-Li · Blueberry Slopes (2.52)
15. IV. Møte · The Tryst (3.41)
16. V. Elsk · Love (2.22)
17. VI. Killingdans · Little Goat’s Dance (1.47)
18. VII. Vond Dag · Hurtful Day (2.19)
19. VIII. Ved Gjætle-Bekken · At the Brook (6.04)
20. Drömmesyn (Phantom) from Lyric Pieces, Book VII Op.62 (2.33)
21. Jeg elsker Dig (I Love Only You) from Hjertets melodier Op.5 (1.18)
22. Når jeg vil dø (Autumn Farewell) from Elegiske Digte Op.59 (1.29)
23. Den Ærgjerrige (Ambition) from Fem Digte Op.26 (1.17)
24. Svundne dage (Vanished Days) from Lyric Pieces, Book VI Op.57 (6.35)
25. Ved en ung Hustrus Båre (At the Grave of a Young Wife) from Romancer Op.39 (4.17)
26. Klokkeklang (Bell Ringing) from Lyric Pieces, Book VI Op.54 (4.18)
27. Stambogsrim (Album Lines) from Ibsensangene Op.25 (1.46)
28. Arietta from Lyric Pieces, Book I Op.12 (1.17)
Total time: 71.59
Sung in the original Norwegian, something I personally had never heard done before, Claire's and Christopher's performances are as evocative as Norway's varied landscape.
Interspersing vocal miniatures with solo piano pieces that range in mood from bright, youthful innocence to shades of autumnal twilight, each of the works on Lyric Music tell a story that, come the end, has culminated in a most enjoyable, and highly comforting manner.
Official CD Purchase Link