Title - 'Play it Again, Marvin!' [Varese Sarabande]
Artist - Kalamazoo Symphony Orchestra
For those not in the know, Marvin Hamlisch was an American composer and conductor. Hamlisch was one of only twelve people to win Emmy, Grammy, Oscar and Tony awards.
In fact, this collection of all four is referred to as an "EGOT". He is one of only two people (along with Richard Rodgers) to have won those four prizes and a Pulitzer Prize.
The Kalamazoo Symphony Orchestra proudly celebrates 96 years of soul-prodding musical experiences and educational programming that stimulate audiences from the inside out.
Founded in 1921, the KSO is the third largest professional orchestra in Michigan with a $2.5 million operating budget, and is recognized throughout the country as a regional orchestra of excellence.
The life and legacy of Broadway’s legendary composer, Pulitzer Prize, Emmy, Grammy, Oscar and Tony award-winner, Marvin Hamlisch, is celebrated in this concert that will tour America.
Out now via Varese Sarabande, Play It Again, Marvin! is Hamlisch's music brought to life again by an amazing group of some of his favorite musicians and singers.
The Kalamazoo Symphony Orchestra is conducted by J. Ernest Green, joined by pianist Kevin Cole and singers Sylvia McNair, Judy Harrison and Doug LaBrecque.
1. 'The Way We Were' - Adrian Daurov, cello / Arranged by Daniel Capelletti (6:17)
2. 'A Chorus Line Concerto' - Kevin Cole, piano (4:53)
3. 'Dreamers' - Sylvia McNair, vocals (2:44)
4. 'Sunshine, Lollipops And Rainbows' - Kevin Cole, vocals (1:01)
5. 'The Swimmer' (3:27)
6. 'Nothing' (from A CHORUS LINE) - Judy Harrison, vocals (4:20)
7. 'A Mother’s Voice' - Sylvia McNair & Judy Harrison, vocals (3:57)
8. 'The Entertainer' and 'Pineapple Rag' (from THE STING) - Kevin Cole, piano / featuring piano intro by Marvin Hamlisch (5:33)
9. 'Nobody Does It Better' (from THE SPY WHO LOVED ME) - Judy Harrison, vocals (3:12)
10. 'They’re Playing My Song' - featuring Marvin Hamlisch (1:18)
11. 'I Cannot Hear The City' (from SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS) - Doug LaBrecque, vocals (4:18)
12. 'That’s How I Say Goodbye' - Sylvia McNair, vocals (3:48)
13. 'If You Really Knew Me' - featuring Marvin Hamlisch (2:43)
14. 'Looking Through The Eyes Of Love' (Theme from ICE CASTLES) - Sylvia McNair, vocals (4:11)
15. 'At The Fountain' (from SWEET SMELL OF SUCCESS) - Doug LaBrecque, vocals (5:09)
16. 'Suite from Sophie’s Choice' / 'If You Remember Me' (from The Champ) - Judy Harrison, vocals (5:00)
17. 'Marvin’s Medley' - Kevin Cole, piano (6:23)
18. 'Bows' (1:23)
19. 'What I Did For Love' - Sylvia McNair, Judy Harrison & Doug LaBrecque, vocals (3:16)
As you can clearly see, Play It Again, Marvin! collects together all is best known hits and breathes new life into them all. Indeed, this new production of his songs performed live has easily got to be my favorite over the past decades.
Inclusive of some truly stand alone, new and vibrant renditions of his music, if you love Hamlisch's music, or are a fan of this genre of music, in general, you will simply adore this new collection of his works, trust me.
Official CD Purchase Link