Title - 'JACO - Original Soundtrack'
Artist - Jaco Pastorius & Weather Report
For those not in the know, the John Francis Anthony Pastorius III (better known as simply Jaco Pastorius, was an influential American jazz musician, composer, big band leader and electric bass player. He is best known for his work with Weather Report from 1976 to 1981, as well as work with artists including Joni Mitchell, Pat Metheny, and his own solo projects.
As a musician, he developed a highly influential approach to bass playing that combined a deep understanding of advanced harmony with ferocious technical prowess. His signature approach infused Latin-influenced 16th-note funk, lyrical soloing on fretless bass, bass chords and innovative use of harmonics. He was inducted into the Down Beat Jazz Hall of Fame in 1988, one of only seven bassists so honored (and the only electric bass guitarist).
Produced by Robert Trujillo and Jaco’s eldest son John Pastorius IV, JACO: Original Soundtrack brings together 16 essential recordings including Jaco Pastorius solo tracks, Weather Report masterpieces and musical collaborations with Joni Mitchell, Ian Hunter, Herbie Hancock and more. The album offers music fans the rare evocative sonic soundscape, “Longing,” featuring Jaco’s daughter Mary Pastorius (vox), Chuck Doom (bass), Robert Thomas, Jr. (hand drums/drum kit) and God (rain/thunder).
1. "Come On, Come Over" – Jaco Pastorius
2. "Continuum' – Jaco Pastorius
3. "River People" – Weather Report
4. "Teen Town" – Weather Report
5. "Portrait of Tracy" – Jaco Pastorius
6. "The Dry Cleaner From Des Moines (Live Version)" – Joni Mitchell
7. "All American Alien Boy" – Ian Hunter
8. "Liberty City (with Herbie Hancock)" – Jaco Pastorius
9. "Okonkole Y Trompa" – Jaco Pastorius
10. "Barbary Coast' – Weather Report
11. "Crisis" – Jaco Pastorius
12. "Longing" – Mary Pastorius
13. "Nineteen Eighty Seven" – †††
14. "Shine" – Tech N9ne
15. "Continuum" – Rodrigo y Gabriela
16. "Come On Come Over" – Mass Mental (featuring Robert Trujillo, Armand Sabal-Lecco, Flea, Whit Crane, Benji Webbe, Stephen Perkins & C-Minus)
A full-length documentary film chronicling the life, music and ongoing influence of the mythic electric bass pioneer Jaco Pastorius, “JACO” is produced by Robert Trujillo (bassist: Metallica, Infectious Grooves, Mass Mental) John Pastorius IV, Bob Bobbing, and John Battsek of Passion Pictures (“Searching for Sugar Man,” “Project Nim”) and marks the directorial debut of documentary filmmaker Paul Marchand and Stephen Kijak (“Scott Walker: 30 Century Man,” “Cinemania”).
CD Purchase Link