Title - Evolution Ritual
Artist - Spirits Burning
For those unaware, Evolution Ritual is the 16th studio album from the Spirits Burning collective, includes 17 new songs, and is the bands first acoustic-based instrumental album.
The album (which releases June 4th, 2021 via Noh Poetry Records) features an impressive group of violinists and other instrumentalists: violinists David Cross (King Crimson), Steeleye Span family members Peter Knight and Jessie May Smart, Hoshiko Yamane (Tangerine Dream), Graham Smith (Van Der Graaf), Darryl Way (Curved Air), and Jonathan Segel (Camper Van Beethoven); wind/reed players David Jackson (Van Der Graaf), Theo Travis (Soft Machine), Bridget Wishart (Hawkwind), Robert Rich, and Dave Newhouse (The Muffins), as well as famed novelist Michael Moorcock on harmonica.
The album also includes performances by bassists Alan Davey (Hawkwind) and Steve York (Dr. John), drummer Albert Bouchard (Blue Oyster Cult), percussionist Monty Oxymoron (The Damned), pianist Cyrille Verdeaux (Clearlight), guitarist Harry Williamson, cellist Ursula Pank (Third Ear Band), and others musicians.
1. Evolution Ritual (feat. Monty Oxymoron & Bridget Wishart)
2. Caves (feat. Darryl Way, Monty Oxymoron, & Bridget Wishart)
3. The Laws Of Umber (feat. David Jackson, Bridget Wishart, & Steve York)
4. Abandoned Habitat (feat. Michael Moorcock & Mick Slattery)
5. The Dream Find (feat. David Cross, Cyrille Verdeaux, & Robert Rich)
6. Far & Away The Lands Escape, Bias Of Recency (feat. Graham Smith)
7. Strolling Into The Future (feat. Albert Bouchard, Andy Dalby, & Jessie Mae Smart)
8. Shadow Language (feat. Bridget Wishart)
9. Seasiders (feat. David Jackson, Michael Moorcock, & Jonathan Segel)
10. Lookout Point (feat. Alan Davey)
11. Outside World (feat. Jonathan Segel & Bridget Wishart)
12. Your Better Angels (feat. Peter Knight)
13. As The Sky Was Being Painted (feat. Alan Davey & Harry Williamson)
14. Theatre On The Other Side Of The Sea (feat. David Jackson & Michael Moorcock)
15. Alternating Universes (feat. Theo Travis & Steve York)
16. Spruce (feat. Harry Williamson)
17. Night Of The Moon Dial (feat. Hoshiko Yamane)
Opening on the atmospherically springy title track Evolution Ritual and the inching ambiance of Caves, they back those up seamlessly with the funky rock of The Laws Of Umber, the Celtic-imbued stillness of Abandoned Habitat, the ornate piano work of The Dream Find and then we get an upbeat, playful Celtic jig swarmed within Far & Away The Lands Escape, Bias Of Recency and the mid-tempo dancefloor, olden day twirl of Strolling Into The Future.
The darker climate of Shadow Language and the yearningly earnest chords of Seasiders are next, and they themselves are followed by the drum-led Lookout Point, the quieted jam session Outside World, the gently fervent Celtic svelteness of Your Better Angels and the crystalline preciseness of As The Sky Was Being Painted.
Up next is the epic Theatre On The Other Side Of The Sea and then the party atmosphere is brought forth on the joyful Alternating Universes, with the album rounding out on the guitar work of Spruce, closing on the building, vivaciously orchestral magnificence of Night Of The Moon Dial.
Says founding member and band leader Don Falcone, Evolution Ritual builds on the mystery and connectivity of our past releases, this time focusing on acoustic instruments and real-world sounds.
The album mixes folk (English, Greek, and Americana), prog, experimental, and other music genres. The contributions each musician made to this album are amazing. I hope everyone enjoys this change of pace, before we return to our next space rock adventure.
Since 1998, Spirits Burning has brought together over 265 musicians (from the family trees of Blue Oyster Cult, Gong, Hawkwind, Van Der Graaf Generator, and many other groups).
Musicians (such as Clearlights Cyrille Verdeaux) have recorded parts in our home base in Northern California, while captain Don Falcone has also done remote recordings (such as flying to Austin to record Michael Moorcock).
Other crew members (such as Bridget Wishart and Albert Bouchard) have recorded their parts in their respective local studios. The result is an ongoing series of albums created by an incredible array of musicians.
Spirits Burning @ Facebook
Don Falcone @ Twitter
Official Purchase Links