Title - 'The Other Side of the Mountain, Part 2'
Artist - Lee Holdridge
For those not in the know, Varese Sarabande's next Limited Edition (to just 1500 copies) album release is the debut CD release of the soundtrack for The Other Side Of The Mountain, Part 2, by multiple award winning composer Lee Holdridge.
The film was the obvious sequel to the successful 1975 box office hit, 'The Other Side Of The Mountain.' After learning to cope with her quadriplegia and dealing with the death of an old friend, former star downhill skier Jill Kinmont (Marilyn Hassett) accompanies her mother, June (Nan Martin), to their hometown in rural California for a summer vacation.
While in the countryside, Jill falls for charming local trucker John Boothe (Timothy Bottoms), but Jill's issues with her condition threaten to derail her budding relationship with John; but he patiently tries to make their romance work.
This stunning album was transferred from analog tape from the composer’s archive and features a beautiful love theme; which is heard in variations throughout the album, as well as in two songs sung by Merrily Webber (arranged by the composer).
1. 'Love Theme From “The Other Side Of The Mountain, Part 2”: It's Time To Say I Love You' (Merrily Webber) (2:37)
2. 'Holiday (Love Theme)' (Lee Holdridge / Molly-Ann Leikin) (1:54)
3. 'Indian Children's School' (1:28)
4. 'Saturday Night Hoedown' (2:05)
5. 'Jill's Loneliness' (1:54)
6. 'Summer Night (Love Theme)' (Lee Holdridge / Molly-Ann Leikin) (1:35)
7. 'First Kisses And Summer Meadows' (1:47)
8. 'Romantic Idyll' (2:22)
9. 'Alone Together (Love Theme)' (Lee Holdridge / Molly-Ann Leikin) (2:22)
10. 'Love Theme' (Lee Holdridge / Molly-Ann Leikin) (2:17)
11. 'I Hear It Rain' (Merrily Webber) (2:51)
12. 'On The Road (Love Theme)' (Lee Holdridge / Molly-Ann Leikin) (2:19)
13. 'Montage' (5:23)
14. 'John's Determination' (3:10)
15. 'Love Theme From “The Other Side Of The Mountain, Part 2”: / It's Time To Say I Love You (Reprise)' (Merrily Webber) (2:50)
In truth, fans of not only the film but this gorgeous soundtrack have requested this score on CD for years now. It actually was first released back in 1978 on vinyl and has been known to sell for a pretty penny too.
That said, and as a newcomer to the album, in general, it should be re-pointed out that, as aforementioned, the Holdridge's beautiful love theme is, for all intents and purposes, on repeat via interpretive variations throughout.
Still the yearningly beautiful 'Love Theme From “The Other Side Of The Mountain, Part 2”: It's Time To Say I Love You' sung by Merrily Webber and backed by the sweeping orchestra Holdridge employed makes it a rather delightful flashback to simpler times.
The gently gracious subtlety of 'Holiday (Love Theme)' (featuring Molly-Ann Leikin) is delightful also, as are all the tracks, to be fair. Other stand outs are the stirring 'Jill's Loneliness,' the atmospheric 'First Kisses And Summer Meadows,' and both the Webber-sung 'I Hear It Rain' and the wondrous 'Montage' (Lakeside Morning; Nighttime Thoughts; The Accident; Bittersweet Memories; and Sad Remembrances).
Official CD Purchase Link