Title - 'My Double Bass'
Artist - Ödön Rácz
For those not in the know, Ödön Rácz is a fourth generation contrabassist whose great grandfather and grandfather played in ensembles, his father in an orchestra.
The son, born in Budapest in 1981, also chose the same path. He has been a member of Vienna’s State Opera orchestra since 2004 and as such, the successor to his prominent teacher Alois Posch.
Rácz studied the orchestral literature with him and Posch is still today his most important role model as an orchestra musician. His idol as a solo musician is also a former Vienna Philharmonic member Ludwig Streicher, whose soloist tracks Rácz follows on this brand new Deutsche Grammophon recording, My Double Base.
For Streicher, the most prominent contrabassist of his time, the concerti from Vanhal, Dittersdorf and Bottesini were also his declared favorite.
1. Gran Duo Concertante for Violin, Double bass and Strings (15:33)
2. Le Grand Tango (12:16)
3. Divertimento Concertante per contrabasso e orchestra: 1. Allegro: Allegro maestoso (09:160
4. Divertimento Concertante per contrabasso e orchestra: 2. Marcia: Alla marcia, allegramente (03:48)
5. Divertimento Concertante per contrabasso e orchestra: 3. Aria: Andante (05:28)
6. Divertimento Concertante per contrabasso e orchestra: 4. Finale: Allegro marcato (04:52)
With Ödön Rácz on double bass, he is joined amicably by: Noah Bendix on Balgley, violin; János Balázs on piano; and the Franz Liszt Chamber Orchestra with Speranza Scappucci, conductor.
Having been a fan of Rácz's since 2016's brilliant Concertos For Double Bass (I mean, come on now, even the cover art for that release was inspired!) it was no shock to me to find myself quickly feeling the vibe for his new album from the very off.
Rácz is, quite clearly, a virtuoso, a highly musical bass player with a beautiful tone and the way he plays must surely be inspiring others around the world with a passion for such a big, sometimes awkward instrument (especially to have to carry from gig to gig!) to knuckle down and themselves produce glorious works of musical art such as these new tracks.
Amazon Purchase Link