Title - 'Keep on Keepin' On' [OST]
Artist - Various
'Keep on Keepin' On' is a wonderful, heart warming documentary that follows jazz legend Clark Terry over four years to document the mentorship between Terry and 23-year-old blind piano prodigy Justin Kauflin as the young man prepares to compete in an elite, international competition.
First-time director/drummer from Australia, Alan Hicks, convinced his surfing mate and cinematographer, Adam Hart, to travel to the U.S. to follow and film 89-year-old jazz legend, Clark Terry (Quincy Jones's first teacher) over four years - to document an unlikely mentorship between Terry and the driven, blind piano prodigy, Kauflin. Clark, now 93, mentored Miles Davis as a young musician and is among the few performers ever to have played in both Count Basie's and Duke Ellington's bands.
Varèse Sarabande has just released the Keep On Keepin’ On Original Motion Picture Soundtrack, digitally and on CD this past February 24th, 2015 and boy, what a24 track piece of musical wonderment it truly is.
“This soundtrack is not only a road map through the film, but also somewhat of a personal Clark Terry mix-tape,” said the film’s director Alan Hicks. “Producing it with Clark’s first student — the great Quincy Jones—has been an honor and an extremely humbling experience, something I will never forget. Keep On Keepin’ On is a project filled with passion and love, and has been my little way of saying thank you to my teacher.”
1. Dialog by Clark Terry / Letter to Justin #1 *Exodus - Justin Kauflin (5:12); Brotherhood of Man - Oscar Peterson Trio and Clark Terry (3:31); Candy - Clark Terry and the Metropole Orchestra (3:46); Mumbles - Oscar Peterson Trio and Clark Terry (2:02); Dialog by Clark Terry and Justin Kauflin; Mood Indigo - Duke Ellington (1:06).
6. Harlem Air Shaft - Duke Ellington & His Famous Orchestra (3:53)
7. Dialog by Justin Kauflin and Clark Terry Breeze (Blow My Baby Back To Me) - Clark Terry and Justin Kauflin (1:46)
8. *Justin Leaving - Dave Grusin (:56)
9. Girl Talk - Clark Terry with Orchestra Conducted by Peter Herbolzheimer (5:06)
10. If I Had You [Live] - Jazz at the Philharmonic All-Stars featuring Clark Terry (2:14); *Dreams Change - Justin Kauflin (1:11); Jazz Conversations - Clark Terry (4:26); Michelle - Clark Terry (4:34); Dialog by Justin Kauflin; *My Biggest Enemy - Dave Grusin (:45).
15. Jim - Oscar Peterson Trio and Clark Terry (3:00)
16. Dialog by Clark Terry and Justin Kauflin / *What The Hell Time Is It? - Dave Grusin (1:52); *Darkest Hour - Justin Kauflin (1:18); Stardust [Live in London] - Jazz at the Philharmonic All-Stars featuring The Clark Terry Quintet (3:45); Blee Blop Blues (aka Normania) - The Count Basie Orchestra (2:55); Misty - Clark Terry with Orchestra Conducted by Peter Herbolzheimer (5:32); Dialog: Farewell by Quincy Jones and Clark Terry; I Remember Clifford - Quincy Jones (:40).
22. I Remember Clifford - Quincy Jones (3:45)
23. Dialog by Quincy Jones and Clark Terry / Letter To Justin #2 *Exodus - Justin Kauflin
24. *For Clark - Justin Kauflin